Pages

Monday 17 August 2020

The Invasion of Parihaka

 Como Estas,

(How Are You)

In my reading class, we have been learning about Maori history and we have been answering some questions and I really wanna show you them so here you go


Where is Parihaka located? Parihaka is a community in the Taranaki Region of New Zealand, located between Mount Taranaki and the Tasman Sea mostly there is mostly sea and water there


Fact card 1 includes a metaphor-What is it: Say if someones being mean to you to not be mean in return say if they come to hurt you do not hurt in return otherwise the rest of your tribe will suffer the pain because of the harm you have occurred.


Fact Card 1 Metaphor: "For if the Pakeha come to smite you do not smite in return"-Te Whiti


Explain the metaphor in your own words, what does it mean? I think it means to me if the Pakeha come to kill you don't kill back. As in like if someone comes to shoot you do not shoot in return otherwise bad things will happen like Karma and because of you shooting them back in return they might come and steal your land.


When did the Invasion of Parihaka occur?5 November 1881 About 1600 troops invaded the western Taranaki settlement of Parihaka, which had come to symbolize peaceful resistance to the confiscation of Maori land/ Found in the mid-1860s, Parihaka was soon attracting dispossessed and disillusioned.


Summarise fact card 3 in your own words. I think it means that the Maori were happy with there land and with others and then the crown came in and stole the land and some of the Maori's died and some went to jail and it was terrifying and the Parihaka was found in the Mountains the crown found it out and then they took away all the Maori's.


How do you think the people of Parihaka were feeling when the troops entered their village? They were scared some were mad  some went to fight with them and some died and some went to jail for trying to stop them from them taking away their land.


Why do you think John Bryce wanted to keep journalists away from Parihaka when the invasion was taking place? I think the reason is that if he had shown them they would be in more trouble for reading and the invasion would've of lasted longer for about our time like now.


Thank you for reading my blog post. Please leave me some feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Helpful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.